Academic Chair, Department of Family Medicine Full-time Job4 months ago Doctor / Physician Alberta 9 views
The University of Alberta (UofA) Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry (FoMD) is inviting applications for Chair of the Department of Family Medicine from current tenured UofA academic faculty with a PhD or MD, or from external candidates with an MD who are able to provide clinical care in a manner that meets the expectations of both the University and Alberta Health Services (AHS). The anticipated start date is July 1, 2022. Reporting to the Dean of the FoMD, Dr. Brenda Hemmelgarn, the Chair will work collaboratively to achieve the facultys mission to serve the public with social accountability through partnerships, leadership, and innovation in education, research and health care.
The FoMD, within the College of Health Sciences, at the University of Alberta, located in Edmonton, Alberta, is internationally recognized as among the worlds elite medical schools. The Department of Family Medicine has the largest residency program in the faculty, with more than 200 residents in urban and rural settings stretching nearly 1440 kms from central Alberta to the Provincial northern border. As well, it has 5 established enhanced skills programs, nearly 40 tenure-track faculty, and over 400 actively teaching clinical faculty.
The successful candidate will be a visionary and strategic leader with a proven track record of success in inspiring excellence and engaging faculty and stakeholders. They will have a personal record of academic accomplishment, demonstrating creativity and innovative ideas to meet the opportunities of academic, research and clinical service leadership in an integrated health region.
External Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and must have obtained the College of Family Physicians of Canada Certification in Family Medicine or equivalent. The successful candidate will be offered a contingent tenure-track appointment. Salary will be commensurate with education, experience, and academic productivity.
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 1
- Department: Family Medicine
- Specialty: Medical Leadership
- Secondary Specialty: Family Medicine
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: No
- Compensation: Total remuneration for this position is based on the Academic Medicine & Health Services Program (AMHSP). Total remuneration for this position is based on the Academic Medicine & Health Services Program (AMHSP), which is an alternate payment plan for clinical and academic services.Interested candidates should submit a 2-3 page letter of introduction outlining relevant research, education, leadership experiences, and any history of commitment to an equitable and just health system for Indigenous peoples and other diverse populations; an up-to-date curriculum vitae; a statement of current clinical interests, and the names of three references.Candidates external to Edmonton will require a second application through DoctorJobsAB (https://www.doctorjobsalberta.com/) for clinical appointment with Alberta Health Services. Clinical appointment with AHS is a requirement for compensation through the AMHSP.Applicants are asked to submit their material by end of business day on April 19, 2022 to email@example.com. The posting will remain open until the position is filled.Applications meeting the requirements outlined in this notice will be forwarded to the Search and Select Committee and will begin being reviewed immediately. We thank all applicants for their interest; only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.COVID-19 Immunization: Proof of full immunization against COVID-19 in compliance with AHSs COVID Immunization Policy. Full immunization status is achieved when 14 days have passed after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine, or the first dose of a single-dose vaccine. See our Frequently Asked Questions for additional information.All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered.
- Community Info: The University of Alberta, founded in 1908, is one of Canada's foremost research-intensive universities with an operating budget of over one billion dollars annually and enrollment of approximately 38,000 students. The external research funding is over 500 million dollars. The University is situated in the provincial capital of Edmonton, home to over one million people. The greater Edmonton area offers all the amenities of a large urban center and is known internationally for its thriving arts and festival scene, a vast array of sports and fitness opportunities, one of North Americas largest stretches of riverfront urban parkland, and top-ranked health care. The University of Alberta has an institutional commitment to Indigenous Initiatives and Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity.(https://www.ualberta.ca/equity-diversity-inclusivity/about/strategic-plan-for-edi/index.html; https://www.ualberta.ca/provost/portfolio/indigenous-initiatives/index.html; https://www.ualberta.ca/uofa-tomorrow/index.html; https://www.ualberta.ca/strategic-plan/reporting/for-the-public-good-report-2020.html)Alberta Health Services (AHS) is Canadas first and largest province-wide, fully-integrated health system, responsible for delivering health services to the over four million people living in Alberta, as well as to some residents of Saskatchewan, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories.Details about the University of Alberta, the FoMD and the Department of Family Medicine can be found on the Facultys Home Page at www.med.ualberta.ca. Details about AHS and the City of Edmonton can be found at www.albertahealthservices.ca and www.edmonton.ca.
- Posting Date: Apr 13, 2022
- Closing Date: Jun 9, 2022
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.