Consultant Psychiatrist Full-time Job1 month ago Doctor / Physician Calgary 5 views
This is impact analysis for a new position being proposed for Med-Psych Unit being proposed at Peter Lougheed Centre. The Med-Psych Unit will a tertiary care, multi-disciplinary program-based at Peter Lougheed Hospital. On average, the program will have 6 beds, will be open 365 days a week, is expected to have 90% occupancy and will be admitting approximately 9-100 patients per year with average length of stay to be around 3 weeks.
Other staff working or consulting for the unit may include a Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, Chronic Diseases Management Expert, Dietician, Social Worker, Aboriginal Liaison, Registration Clerk, Public Health RN, Booking Clerk, Home Care Case Manager, Pediatrician.
This position will be for all working days. This physician will report to the Section Chief Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Inpatient and Acute Care Programs. The physician will hold a Clinical Faculty position with expectation to teach and participate in research activities. There is no pay associated with research activities carried out by the Clinical Faculty members.
- Physicians will be able to bill fee for service. Addition teaching stipend may be available for teaching through University of Calgary.
- There may be addition renumeration for non-billable activity if approval is obtained from the section chief of the department head.
Expectation from Med-Psychiatry Consultation Service.
- Psychiatric Assessments for patients during on call activities
Psychiatric Assessments for patients after admission and follow up on a regular basis after admission.
- Prompt urgent electronic charting is expected.
- Working closely with the dyad partner to ensure system demands are adequately met on a timely fashion.
- Physician must be well versed with electronic health record systems (SCM, Netcare, Connect Care, Epic)
- Ensuring the completion of documentation on time for expedited transfers and discharges
- Providing teaching opportunities to Child and Youth Psychiatric Specialty trainees, Psychiatry residents and medical students if present.
- FRCPC qualifications in Psychiatry with accredited training in Child Psychiatry. FRCPC in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry or equivalent other qualification will be preferred.
- Expert knowledge of commonly presenting psychiatric disorders and somatization disorders and working knowledge of medical conditions generally co-occurring on med-psych units such as eating disorders.
- Ability to manage a broad range of psychiatric medications.
- Knowledge of common investigations needed to diagnose and treat common Med-Psych conditions. Medically , patients admitted to this program will be stable, with little risk of rapid medical decompensation. Patients may require medical support for an ongoing therapy, medication management, or further diagnostics or investigation. Interventions may include, but not limited to such items as IV therapy, feeding (NG, NJ or TPN) and potentially minor procedures or diagnostics. From a mental health perspective, patients that typically fit this profile typically internalize and suffer from anxiety, depression and self harm . Mental Health supports would include psychiatry evaluation and treatment, family counselling and therapy. Treatments might include medication management, group and individual therapy sessions. Depending on length of stay some components of school may be required. Other supporting disciplines for this patient population may require support from Social Work, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Music Therapists, Speech Therapists, Child Life Specialists and Dieticians.
Were passionate about what we do. Our team of skilled and dedicated health care professionals, support staff, and physicians promote wellness and provide health care every day, all across the Calgary Zone. We are an equal opportunity employer. AHS values the diversity of the people and communities we serve and is committed to attracting, engaging and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
The candidate must be eligible for Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
Must read, write and speak English.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
- FTE: 1
- Department: Psychiatry
- Specialty: Psychiatry
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: No
- Compensation: The Practitioner is responsible for purchasing health and insurance benefits.For complete details on the AMA benefits, please see www.albertadoctors.org
- Posting Date: Jan 30, 2023
- Closing Date: Feb 15, 2023
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.