Alberta Health Services (AHS), Edmonton Zone invites applications for the role of Medical Lead, Integrated Operations Centre / Patient Flow
This 0.30 FTE position governed by the Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules, reports to the Associate Zone Medical Director (AZMD) Emergency Medicine, Suburban Hospitals, Patient Flow.
The successful candidate is responsible for working with sites and zone programs to improve the demand and capacity balance of the healthcare system.
Strategic Planning for Patient flow:
Develop a clear strategic plan for senior leadership for the role of an expanded integrated operations centre to support health care delivery and patient flow.
- Identify and define efficiency metrics and work with quality management (data group) to follow metrics as AHS Review recommendations are implemented
- Identify common concerns / barriers to patient flow
Incorporate and integrate:
- Robust data set available in Connect Care electronic medical record.
- Analytics capability of the organization to collect, report and model patient flow.
Engage and collaborate:
- Collaborate with Facility Medical Directors / Zone Clinical Department Heads / Physician Leaders / Physicians
- Identify opportunities to alter physician staffing to improve patient flow and physician wellness
- Work through RAAPID protocols to ensure provision of timely, high-quality patient care while respecting current challenging physician environment and fee structures
- Identify previously unappreciated barriers to patient flow
- Lead working groups arising from:
- EMS/ ED / IOC for the purpose of EMS distribution
- RAAPID / IOC for the purpose of role definition and improved collaboration
- E/DM /IOC/ RAAID for the purpose of implementing upcoming recommendations for MCI debriefs
- Standardized Processes
- Edmonton Zone Short Term Escalation Plans
- Communication tools for demand / capacity work including standardized dashboards
- Data based patient flow models to quantify barriers to patient flow identify different options for intervention for medical and operational leadership
- Work with Physicians (on-site)
- Coach physicians through appropriate escalation channels
- Coach regarding Rapid Rounds / CoAct principles
- Educate on evidence-based literature for demand / capacity and patient flow
- Assist sites and programs in setting up individual IOCs which will then report into the Edmonton Zone IOC
Working with IOC team:
- Assist sites / programs with daily demand / capacity challenges
The position has an expected start date of approximately November 1st, 2022 and an expected term of 3 years.
To apply, please forward a copy of your curriculum vitae and a letter of interest online through the doctorjobsalberta.com posting as well as a separate copy to:Dr. Warren Ma at Warren.Ma@albertahealthservices.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Deadline for submission of applications is 30 days; however, the competition will remain open until the position is filled.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated abilities in communication, conflict resolution and a passion for quality, patient safety. They will be an inclusive and visionary leader with experience in medical leadership and is considered a strong clinician by peers.
The successful candidate will possess superior interpersonal skills, be an excellent clinician with the respect of their peers. They will have demonstrated the ability to lead teams to develop and implement projects successfully.
Candidates must possess either Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPSC) fellowship or equivalent designation, be eligible to work in Canada, and hold or be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and appointment to the AHS Medical Staff. Preference will be given to candidates with evidence of formal relevant education and training.
- Position Classification: Part-time
- FTE: 0.3
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: No
- Compensation: Remuneration is in accordance with AHS contractor agreements.
- Posting Date: Sep 29, 2022
- Posting Status: Open until a suitable candidate is found
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.