Medical Officer of Health Full-time Job4 weeks ago Doctor / Physician Alberta 8 views
Alberta Health Services (AHS) has an exciting medical leadership opportunity for a physician with training and skills in Public Health and Preventive Medicine/Community Medicine. The Medical Officer of Health (MOH) carries out responsibilities under the Alberta Public Health Act related to investigation and control of communicable diseases, infection prevention and control, injury prevention, and environmental threats to the health of all Albertans.
The MOH assesses potential risks to public health and takes steps to reduce or eliminate any risks by enforcing vital public health legislation, providing direction to staff, and advising and consulting with physicians and other healthcare providers on communicable disease control. You will work in partnerships to manage outbreaks and participate in the development, testing, and implementation of the provinces emergency/disaster response program and collaborate with local government and agencies regarding public health programs and services.
The MOH role offers excellent flexibility as it now allows you to work remotely anywhere in Alberta. If working remotely is of interest, it will remain crucial to develop local partnerships and collaborate with key zone stakeholders to effectively address unique challenges and opportunities. The MOH position offers exceptional career progression in cultivating dynamic leadership abilities and partnerships as well as continued exposure to correlative Clinical and Departmental leadership opportunities across the province.
AHS is proud to be recognized as a top employer and part of Canadas first and largest fully integrated provincial healthcare system, serving over 4.4 million Albertans. Imagine a supportive, progressive employer and a career that fits your lifestyle. If you would like to have a significant impact on Albertas healthcare system, we are looking for a leader like you!
- Provide public health leadership and expertise as a Public Health Consultant.
- Build integrated teams within PPPH, but also across interdisciplinary and external stakeholder teams.
- Provide expertise, leadership and clinical guidance in areas of environmental public health, surveillance, infection prevention and control, communicable disease control, health promotion, injury prevention, and immunization programming.
- Develop and lead strategic initiatives applicable to population and public health matters.
- Work as the physician partner of Public Health Directors, Zone Leadership, and Managers in public health matters.
- Liaise with external partners such as municipalities, councils, and schools.
- Participate in public health research as requested.
- Teach learners and health practitioners public and population health principles and practices.
- Participate in on-call services to respond to all public health situations.
We are currently recruiting to the following positions that have the option to work in a remote/hybrid capacity anywhere in Alberta. The position may also be flexible from a 0.5- 1.0 FTE.
MOH Central Zone- Up to a 1.0 FTE
Central Alberta is bordered by the Rocky Mountains on the west and Saskatchewan to the east. Its lovely small towns and cities, diversified economy, and varied landscape make it a perfect place to live, work and raise a family. Take a trail ride under the skilled guidance of a local ranch hand, paddle down one of our many rivers and lakes, get lost in a sunflower maze or attend a winter carnival the options are endless! Beautiful, peaceful, and a great backdrop for a fulfilling career, Central Zone has it all.
MOH North Zone (2x) Up to a 1.0 FTE
Discover a whole different professional practice and way of life in Alberta Health Services (AHS) expansive North Zone. The rich and diverse North Zone offers a huge natural playground for all your favorite outdoor activities, to see wildlife, or watch the Northern Lights dance, and to explore the northernmost reaches of Albertas Rocky Mountains, and discover unexpected hidden gems far from tourist hotspots. Besides the natural world, northern communities also enjoy thriving arts and cultural scenes, sports teams at all levels, and a range of social opportunities to suit a wide a variety of interests. Come get lost in Albertas north.
To apply for these positions, please visit Central Zone Medical Officer of Health - Alberta Health Services Careers
(any issues with the direct links please copy & paste the link into your web browser)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) eligible for licensure in Alberta.
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC) with specialty in Public Health and Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Accomplished verbal and written communication skill that allows for the delivery of key public health messages across an array of audiences that include medical non-medical groups and interviews with the media.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders, patients and interdisciplinary colleagues that span municipalities, provincial and federal governments to achieve population health goals.
- FTE: 1
- Department: Public Health
- Specialty: Public Health & Preventative Medicine
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: No
- Posting Date: Aug 26, 2022
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.