Molecular Pathologist Full-time Job1 year ago Doctor / Physician Edmonton 61 views
Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL) North Sector, in partnership with the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, in Edmonton, Alberta is seeking qualified Anatomical / General Pathologists with Molecular Pathology Fellowship. Successful applicants will also be considered for appointment with the University of Albertas Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology.
This is a zonal position and involvement and interaction with different hospital sites may be required. The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, with its team of 96 pathologists and many zonal consultants, functions as a zonal center of Excellence. The successful applicant will be involved in the diagnostic activity across sites in the Edmonton region, and is expected to become an active zonal consultant in their area(s) of expertise, and interact with the clinical stakeholders in their area(s). Comprehensive molecular pathology training is required for recruitment. TheMolecular pathology lab performs testing of DNA and RNA specimens to provide diagnostic and predictive information to laboratory physician and clinicians, in order to help guide optimal care for patients with cancer and other diseases. The Molecular Pathology Lab (MPL) performs complex testing of cancer genes, genomic alterations and pathogens from tissue, blood or fluid specimens.
The Department is integrated with the academic health campus and there are opportunities for independent and/or collaborative research that foster the goals of discovery knowledge and translational research at the University of Alberta. Depending on the qualifications of the applicant, there are opportunities to practice in a sub-specialty environment while participating in clinical and/or basic research activities. Teaching and interaction with a wide range of learners from undergraduate through postgraduate studies (residents from anatomical and general pathology), with provision of interactive educational opportunities at all levels will be encouraged.
Applicants shall possess a strong track record of collegiality with co-workers, professional (academic and/or clinical-diagnostic) accomplishments, and evidence of ongoing continued medical education. Responsibilities may include supervising technical staff, overseeing the laboratory quality assurance program, on call requirements, clinical consultation with physicians, surgeons and oncologists, development and validation of new assays, and liaising with various multidisciplinary committees and groups that develop and monitor laboratory policies, processes and procedures.
In accordance with the Canadian Foreign Workers requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL) respects, appreciates and encourages diversity.
This position is available for AHS Sponsorship and relocation assistance.
Minimum qualifications include a MD, eligibility for licensure in the Province of Alberta with certification in Anatomic Pathology or General Pathology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the American Board of Pathology. Fellowship training in Molecular Pathology is required for this position, and preference will be given to those candidates who are board-eligible or board-certified in molecular pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Effective communication, experience in quality assurance, operational efficiency and appropriateness of care
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing environment that allows for delivery of quality service
- Ability to balance service and quality imperative in a resource-sensitive environment
- Ability to work collaboratively, building trust in working relationships, and being an overall team player
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 1
- Department: Lab Medicine & Pathology
- Specialty: General Pathology
- Secondary Specialty: Molecular Pathology
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Precision Laboratories
- Sponsorship Eligible: Yes
- Compensation: An excellent remuneration package including relocation assistance is provided. Starting remuneration is commensurate with the level of fellowship training and experience. Remuneration range for a Pathologist in Alberta is $353,874.00 to $411,650.00. For more detailed information regarding the practice at the University of Alberta Hospital, as a Molecular Pathologist please contactDr. Michael Mengel, Medical Director, APL North SectorEmail: Michael.Mengel@albertaprecisionlabs.ca
- Community Info:
Edmonton is a vibrant urban centre in the heart of the wilderness, the largest northernmost metropolis, and the capital of Alberta, Canada. Experience what 18 hours of sunlight a day feels like in the summer, or how the first snowfall transforms the river valley in winter. No matter the season, Edmonton is made for exploring. To explore more info on the City of Edmonton:https://exploreedmonton.com/
- Posting Date: Aug 30, 2022
- Posting Status: Open until a suitable candidate is found
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.