Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 22-STO-PED-PCICU-28 Full-time Job1 month ago Doctor / Physician Edmonton 9 views
Responsibilities /Job Description:
The Division of Pediatric Critical Care, Section of Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Medicine in the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Alberta seeks applicants fortwoupcoming positions in the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (PCICU) at Stollery Childrens Hospital Edmonton which will each consist of a minimum of 0.75 FTE of clinical service. The position may include an appointment at the appropriate rank as either Clinical or Academic faculty in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta.
The successful candidate will join 7 attending pediatric cardiac intensivists in the PCICU. Participation in resident and fellow education, clinical and/or translational research, and quality/performance improvement is expected of all current and future members of the group. Extensive opportunities exist for research/quality collaborations with investigators in the Cardiac Sciences Program, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine and Departments of Pediatrics and Adult Critical Care Medicine.
The Stollery Childrens Hospital is one of two surgical sites for the Western Canadian Congenital Heart Network. This coordinated regional program provides complex pediatric cardiovascular and pulmonary hypertension care to a referral population of more than 11 million people encompassing a vast geography of Western and Northern Canada. The program is consistently ranked amongst the top 10 in North America for pediatric cardiac surgical volume and quality outcomes.
The PCICU is a state-of-the-art, 15-bed dedicated unit that provides all forms of cardiovascular intensive care for children with congenital and acquired cardiovascular diseases. Currently, about 600 patients are admitted to the PCICU per year, with 75% of admissions for post-operative care. Patients range in age from postoperative neonates to adolescents; patient complexity and acuity are amongst the highest in North America. A full range of extracorporeal life support (ECLS) services are provided to patients, including ventricular assist devices, interventional lung assist (iLA) and ECMO. Stollery Childrens Hospital is the primary ECLS centre for Western Canada and routinely performs mobile ECMO transport across a vast geography. Stollery Childrens is a large volume pediatric cardiac transplantation program (approximately 10+ pediatric heart transplants per year), and critically ill pre- and post-transplant patients are managed in the PCICU. In addition, the Stollery Childrens Hospital is the lead site for the Western Canadian Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Program. This program coordinates outpatient, consultation, catheterization and inpatient management for this highly specialized, complex patient population.
The baseline training qualifications for eligible applicants include:
- Board certification/eligibility (or recognized international equivalent) in Pediatric Critical Care Medicine with evidence of completion of advanced training (minimum 1 year) in pediatric cardiac intensive care in a recognized training program.
- Board certification/eligibility (or recognized international equivalent) in Pediatric Cardiology with evidence of completion of advanced training (minimum 1 year) in pediatric cardiac intensive care in a recognized training program.
The preferred candidate may have additional desirable training/experience as evidenced by:
- Dual Board training/certification in any two of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Pediatric Cardiology and/or Pediatric Anesthesia.
- Previous consultant level pediatric cardiac intensive care experience in the management of complex pediatric cardiac ICU patients.
- Masters Level Training in Clinical Bioethics
Must be eligible for CPSA licensure
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 0.75
- Department: Child Health
- Specialty: Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: Yes
- Compensation: Remuneration is paid through a competitive Alternative Relationship Plan
- Community Info:
The PCICU at the Stollery Childrens Hospital is in the heart of the campus of the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Edmonton is a vibrant cosmopolitan city in Northern Alberta that provides the ideal setting and example for work-life balance. Whether your interests include professional sports, theatre, music or an active outdoor lifestyle, Edmonton has something to offer for you and your family. In addition, Edmontons emphasis on community-centred development and its world-renowned public education system makes it an enviable place to raise and nurture a family.
- Posting Date: Nov 30, 2022
- Closing Date: Feb 17, 2023
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.