Psychiatrist - Emergency Services Part-time Job1 year ago Doctor / Physician Calgary 26 views
- Psychiatric Assessments for patients waiting for review from previous night
- Psychiatric Assessment for patient arriving new from 8.00 AM to 4.00 PM
- Ensuring the completion of documentation on time for expedited transfers
- Participation in handover meetings at 8:00 am and 4:00 pm (by conference call or in person)
- Providing advice to ACH ER physicians and PES staff where required
- Coordinating care and transferring patients to the destination sites in consultation with the bed coordinator and the Medical Director and Team leads during the day
- Responding to calls from inside hospital where needed
- Responding to Specialist link, e Referrals and TRaCK-K referrals as scheduled
- Providing teaching opportunities to Child and Youth Psychiatric Specialty trainees, Psychiatric, pediatric and neurology residents and medical students as a part of affiliation with University of Calgary Cummings School of Medicine.
The ACH Psychiatry Emergency Services (PES) is a tertiary care, multi-disciplinary program-based service located within the emergency department of Alberta Children’s Hospital. The program receives 5-10 patients per day for assessment and disposition. This volume may vary significantly depending on the season. The ACH PES has other mental health staff working on different shifts and during the daytime there are up to 3-4 staff working during each shift. Total patient flow through ACH ER for mental health patients has gone up from 918 per year in 2009/10 to 2044 per year in 2019/20. Boarding time has gone down from 22 hours in 2015/16 to 2 hours in 2019/20. We currently have 4 different psychiatrists providing daytime coverage for PES services. We would like to consolidate this and recruit 0.5 additional dedicated psychiatrist to support the current services.
Alberta Children’s Hospital (ACH) has 133 inpatient beds, and it is one of the topmost children’s hospital in Canada.
- FRCPC qualifications in Psychiatry with accredited training in Child Psychiatry. FRCPC in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry or equivalent other qualification will be preferred.
- Expert knowledge of commonly presenting psychiatric
- Ability to manage a broad range of psychiatric medications
- Experience working with families
- Experience working with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary settings
- Willingness to engage in initiatives for betterment of mental health services for children and their families
- Willingness to work closely with dyad partners, management partners to address system issues
- Knowledge and management of concurrent disorders in a clinical setting
- Interest and experience in medical education with a focus on resident training
- Ability to provide patient care virtually, in person, and/or in a blended format
- FRCPC with accredited training in Child Psychiatry. FRCPC in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry or equivalent other qualification will be preferred.
- The candidate must be eligible for Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
- The candidate must read, write and speak English.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
Dr. Abdul Rahman
Section Chief C&A Inpatient and Day Services, AHS Calgary Zone, Alberta Canada
Applicants are to submit three letters of reference and curriculum vitae (in pdf format) to Abdul.Rahman@albertahealthservices.ca
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.