Psychiatry Emergency Service (PES) - Evening Consultant Part-time Job2 years ago Doctor / Physician Calgary 59 views
The Alberta Children’s Hospital Psychiatry Emergency Service (ACH PES) is a tertiary level, multi-disciplinary program-based in the Emergency Department. On average, the program receives 5-10 patients per day for assessment and disposition. The ACH PES has other mental health staff working on different shifts. Total patient flow through ACH ER for mental health patients went up from 918 per year in 2009/10 to 2044 per year in 2019/20.
In recent months, we have seen a surge of patients and increasing mental health challenges related to Covid-19, thus increasing the boarding time and registration to discharge time. Overnight stay of these patients increases risks to them and to other patients because of proximity and longer exposure within ER. We currently have 4 different psychiatrists providing daytime coverage for PES services. However, many of these patients cannot be seen either due to the sheer volume or they need to be re-evaluated due to new information. We would like to extend the daytime consultation service to the evenings for a period of 4 hours (from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm) to improve efficiency of our service, provide better and timely care, reduce the boarding time for these patients and expedite discharges.
This physician will report to Dr. Michael Stubbs, Medical Director ACH PES Services. Although recruitment of a single physician is preferred, we will allow up to 5 physicians sharing this 0.5 position with a mutual agreement. Physicians, rotation can be agreed mutually and approved by Dr. Stubbs.
This position will be for one year and then renewable annually.
Expectation from PES Evening Psychiatry Consultation Service.
- Psychiatric Assessments for patients waiting for review, assessment or re-assessment.
- Psychiatric Assessment and appropriate disposition for patient arriving new from 5:00 to 9:00 PM
- Prompt urgent electronic charting is expected.
- Physician must be well versed with electronic health record systems (SCM, Netcare, Connect Care, Epic)
- Ensuring the completion of documentation on time for expedited transfers and discharges
- Providing advice to ACH ER physicians where required
- Coordinating care and transferring patients to the destination sites
- Responding to calls from inside hospital where needed.
- Be present on site to see patients when requested by PES team.
- Working collaboratively with the 24 hours on call Psychiatrist, the evening consultation will be responsible for responding to calls from PES and 24 hours on call will respond to calls from outside of Alberta Children’s Hospital. In case of larger number, the 24 hours on call psychiatrist may be requested to participate in assessment process. It is also expected that the oncall resident and speciality trainees will be available to complete the assessments.
- Providing teaching opportunities to Child and Youth Psychiatric Specialty trainees, Psychiatry residents, and medical students if present. The physician is expected to be in the house from 5-9 PM.
- FRCPC qualifications in Psychiatry with accredited training in Child Psychiatry. FRCPC in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry or equivalent other qualification will be preferred.
- Expert knowledge of commonly presenting psychiatric disorders.
- Ability to manage a broad range of psychiatric medications.
- Expert knowledge and skills in the application of CBT, DBT, and/or other relevant psychotherapies for mood, anxiety and/or psychotic disorders in both 1:1 and group therapy settings
- Experience working with families.
- Working knowledge of available resources in Calgary Zone
- Experience working with multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary settings.
- Willingness to engage in initiatives for betterment of mental health services for children and their families.
- Willingness to work closely with dyad partners, management partners to address system issues.
- Knowledge and management of concurrent disorders in a clinical setting
- A clear understanding of recovery orientated practice
- Interest and experience in medical education with a focus on resident training
- Ability to provide patient care virtually, in person, and/or in a blended format.
FRCPC with accredited training in Child Psychiatry. FRCPC in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry or equivalent other qualification will be preferred.
The candidate must be eligible for Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta.
Must read, write and speak English.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
Physicians will be able to bill fee for service.
This position is for one year renewable every year.
ARP funding may be available in future. This will be optional.
Dr. Abdul Rahman
Section Chief C&A Inpatient and Day Services, AHS Calgary Zone, Alberta Canada
Applicants are to submit three letters of reference, cover letter of interest, and curriculum vitae (in pdf format) to Abdul.Rahman@albertahealthservices.ca. The subject line of the email should read “PES Evening Psychiatry Consultation Service.
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.