Alberta Health Services, South Zone is currently seeking a full time Family Physician with enhanced Emergency Medicine skills and Low Risk Obstetrical skills for the Brooks Health Centre.
A full time practice is generally accepted as engagement in clinical duties 8-10, twelve (12) hour shifts per month and/or providing commensurate shifts in keeping with other full time practice FTEs in person, as assigned by the medical leader responsible for the area of clinical service.
The scope of practice would include:
- Emergency Room coverage including independent low risk obstetric coverage during night shift. AHS call and section support may be considered for hospitalist and low risk obstetrics for Rural Medicine practices in the South Zone at the Brooks Health Centre.
-Obtain and maintain AHS Medical Staff Appointment and hospital privileges which will minimumly include provision of emergency room shifts and GP obstetrics at the Brooks Health Centre.
-Abide by the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws, the Rules and AHS policies.
-Work collaboratively with peers and care team colleagues as a member of the Zone Clinical Department of Rural Medicine at Brooks Health Centre in support of patient care.
-Participate in quality improvement programs and initiatives undertaken within the Zone Clinical Department of Rural Medicine.
-Reside in and have as primary and family residence, the community of Brooks.
-Attendance at meetings as is reasonably expected of any member of the AHS Medical Staff.
- Establish and maintain a full time clinical practice in the Zone Clinical Department of Emergency Medicine; A full time practice is defined as providing commensurate shifts in keeping with other equivalent practice FTEs as assigned by the medical leader on site in the clinical service;
- Obtain and maintain an AHS Medical Staff Appointment and appropriate privileges to provide the Services;
- Reside in and have as primary residence, in the community in which the AHS clinical role is located;
- Meet the expectations for Emergency Medicine practitioners as may be established or directed by an appropriate Medical Leader;
- Abide by the AHS Medical Staff Bylaws, the AHS Medical Staff Rules and AHS policies;
- Work collaboratively within the Clinical Department of Emergency Medicine;
- Participate fully in quality improvement programs and initiatives undertaken within the Zone Clinical Department of Emergency Medicine; and AHS in general, including (without limitation) achievement of certain performance indicators as determined by AHS, exercising its discretion reasonably. The participating physician will acknowledge, actively support, and work towards the expected outcomes measures that in the domains of safety (e.g. adverse outcomes/incidents, effectiveness, and patient and family satisfaction;
- Attendance at meetings as is reasonably expected of any member of the AHS Medical Staff.
It is desired that the individual shall have or be eligible for CCFP.
It is desired that the individual shall have Certificate of the College of Family Physicians (CCFP) Emergency Medicine (CCFP-EM) or equivalent.
Must be eligible for a College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA) license.
Must be eligible to apply to the CPSA for the Provisional Register Conditional Practice as a General Practitioner or be recognized as a specialist in Family Medicine.
Preference will be given to general practice physicians with recent training and/or experience (within 2 years) in Emergency situations.
Preference given to those with recent rural experience.
Full scope general practice emergency medicine including low risk obstetrics experience within the past 1-2 years.
For more information on obtaining a CPSA license and the eligibility requirements, please visit The College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta:
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 1
- Department: Rural Medicine
- Specialty: Family Medicine - Emergency Medicine
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Sponsorship Eligible: Yes
- Compensation: Compensation Type: Fee-for-ServiceOn call payments in accordance with the Alberta Medical Association agreement.Alberta Medical Association (AMA) Incentives:Several benefits are available to physicians through the AMA. To receive these benefits, physicians must be members of the AMA or pay a non-member administration fee.
- Community Info: https://vimeo.com/654668539/cd771dce06 The city of Brooks is a vibrant, thriving community with a population of 14,185 and a catchment area of 25,000. Brooks is located in the natural grassland region of Alberta. A multicultural community, Brooks has been referred to as "The City of 100 Hellos" as a result of the community's significant immigrant, refugee, and temporary foreign worker populations. Brooks is home to Canada's second largest beef-processing facility, owned by JBS Canada. The JBS meat packing facility ships meat both across the country and internationally. The plant employs over 2000 workers. Brooks is centrally located in Southern Alberta and is within 186 km to Calgary, AB and 199 km to the USA border. There are three provincial parks in the area. Dinosaur Provincial Park, a World Heritage Site to the northeast, Tillebrook Provincial Park to the east and Kinbrook Provincial Park to the south. In addition, there are several other recreational sites in the area including the Rolling Hills Reservoir, Crawling Valley Reservoir, and Emerson Bridge. The city of Brooks and Newell County possess a vibrant medical community offering a full spectrum of services.
- Posting Date: Sep 9, 2022
- Posting Status: Open until a suitable candidate is found
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.