Alberta Health Services is inviting applications for a clinical sub-specialist position in Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) to join the Womens Health program in Edmonton, Alberta.
The Maternal-Fetal Medicine program is based out of the Lois Hole Hospital for Women (LHHW) on the Royal Alexandra Hospital campus. The MFM program sees referrals from Edmonton, Central and Northern Alberta, Nunavut, North West Territories and Western Canadian provinces. The catchment area for the program within Alberta sees 25 000 births or more per year. The LHHW is a tertiary, acute care hospital consisting of 22 full-time Obstetricians/Gynecologists in private practice and 25 sub-specialists. More than 6500 births occur at this site alone. The Womens Health program is dedicated to providing the highest quality of care, medical education, clinical innovation, and research.
The successful candidate will join a group of nine clinical and academic MFM sub-specialists who provide high-risk pregnancy consultation and ultrasound services. This group is part of a large multidisciplinary team including medical genetics, obstetric medicine, neonatology, pediatric cardiology, in addition to numerous other specialties. The practice includes care for both in-patients and out-patients, with over 30 000 patient encounters seen annually. There are excellent opportunities for collaborative clinical research and/or participation in CME education, which is encouraged and supported.
The Royal Alexandra Hospital is affiliated with the University of Alberta and serves as an important training hospital for residents and students. The successful candidate will also be expected to apply for a Clinical Academic appointment in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Alberta. This will be considered under a separate process through the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry which has been internationally recognized as among the worlds top 50 medical schools and as one of Canadas premier health-education institutions and is located in Edmonton.
The successful candidate will have, or be eligible for, certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology as well as in Maternal Fetal Medicine with the Royal College of Physicians of Canada and must have or be eligible for unrestricted licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Completion of a clinical fellowship in MFM is required, with strong ultrasound and procedural skills expected. Individuals interested in the education of trainees are encouraged to apply.
- Position Classification: Part-time
- FTE: 0.67
- Department: Women's Health
- Specialty: Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Health Services
- Compensation: Remuneration is based on an alternative funding relationship (ARP) for Perinatology. Candidates must be appointed to the Alberta Health Services Medical Staff.
- Community Info: Edmonton is one of Canadas most vibrant and exciting cities. With a growing population of over one million, it is the cosmopolitan capital of Alberta, and is known as the City of Festivals. With an abundance of services, a beautiful river valley, and endless community activities, this energetic city has something for everyone. Edmonton boasts a superior public education system for school-aged children through Edmonton Public Schools. For more information, visit http://www.epsb.ca/
- Posting Date: Apr 13, 2022
- Closing Date: Jul 1, 2022
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.