Transfusion Medicine Physician Full-time Job3 months ago Doctor / Physician Calgary 23 views
Alberta Precision Laboratories Ltd. (APL) Transfusion and Transplantation Medicine (TTM), in partnership with the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary is seeking a qualified Full time (1.0) Transfusion Medicine Physician. A physician with completion of the Royal College Area of Focused Competency in Transfusion Medicine is preferred but a Hematopathologist, General Pathologist, clinical Hematologist or Anesthesiologist with expertise in transfusion medicine, apheresis, cellular therapy and quality improvement would also be considered. The successful applicant may also be considered for a Clinical appointment with the University of Calgarys Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.
This position will consist of involvement and interaction with different APL laboratory sites within the city of Calgary and Southern Alberta but may also be required to support sites and TTM initiatives across the province. The APL Transfusion and Transplantation Medicine program is a Center of Excellence that supports not only transfusion medicine but cellular therapy and histocompatibility services for Alberta. This program is a diverse clinical, research and teaching program with a full range of clinical services including multiple level I trauma centers, stem cell & solid organ transplantation, high risk obstetrics, Level 1-3 neonatal intensive care, hematology-oncology, apheresis and cardiovascular surgery services.
The successful candidate will provide medical direction for blood bank, apheresis and cellular therapy related clinical services as needed, and work closely with clinicians in hematology, oncology, transplantation, neurology, obstetrics, cardiothoracic and trauma surgery. Clinical duties will also include offering medical oversight to technical and regulatory processes and procedures within TTM, including quality assurance, hemovigilance and occurrence management. Part of the role includes the ongoing promotion of safe and effective blood transfusion, and provision of education for colleagues, allied health professionals and trainees in postgraduate as well as undergraduate training programs.
In accordance with the Canadian Foreign Workers requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. Alberta Precision Laboratories (APL) respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. This position is available for APL Sponsorship.
The successful candidate should have or be eligible for certification as a Hematologist, Anesthesiologist, Hematopathologist or General Pathologist with transfusion medicine certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Physicians must also have current Canadian Medical Protective Association coverage. Candidates must have a strong interest and/or documented experience in quality improvement.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Effective communication, experience in quality assurance, operational efficiency and appropriateness of care
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing environment that allows for delivery of quality service
- Ability to balance service and quality imperative in a resource-sensitive environment
- Ability to work collaboratively, building trust in working relationships, and being an overall team player
- Position Classification: Full-time
- FTE: 1
- Department: Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Specialty: Transfusion Medicine
- Secondary Specialty: Hematopathology
- Recruiting Organization: Alberta Precision Laboratories
- Sponsorship Eligible: Yes
- Compensation: An excellent remuneration package including relocation assistance is provided. Starting remuneration is commensurate with the level of fellowship training and experience. Remuneration range for a Transfusion Medicine physician in Alberta is $353,874.00 to $411,650.00. Candidate interviewed for this position may be considered for other positions.
- Community Info:
Calgary, a cosmopolitan Alberta city with numerous skyscrapers, owes its rapid growth to its status as the centre of Canadas oil industry. However, its still steeped in the western culture that earned it the nickname Cowtown, evident in the Calgary Stampede, its massive July rodeo and festival that grew out of the farming exhibitions once presented here.
- Posting Date: Jun 9, 2022
- Posting Status: Open until a suitable candidate is found
General Practitioners and Family Physicians are licensed health care professionals and are educated in the general practice, with opportunities to focus their practice in specialized areas.
Specialist physicians are trained and certified to provide patient care within a specific discipline. They also act as consultants to other physicians; perform surgery and supervise surgical procedures; and may conduct research on the nature, cause and development of diseases.